8141

Listed Buildings

   

Grade

Aldingbourne House & The Orangery (MS) Aldingbourne Drive Aldingbourne (Aldingbourne House, Flats 1-19)

SU 90 NW 7/441 GRADE II Aldingbourne House Crockerhill Road Now Aldingbourne Hospital. Late C18 or early C19 mansion. Two storeys. Seven windows. White brick. Stuccoed stringcourse. Cornice and parapet. Curved bay of three windows in centre of south front on both floors. Round-headed windows on ground floor. Large verandah on both floors, added about 1814 with slender coupled iron columns and cornice of lacy ironwork, the sides now glazed. The west front has two curved bays of one window each, two lunette-shaped dormers, a balustraded portico between the bays with four pairs of Doric columns and two Venetian windows on first floor above the portico. Modern hospital additions to north. AND SU 90 SW 7/441A Grade II The Lodge to the south-west of Aldingbourne House Crockerhill Road 1830 circa. Two parallel ranges. One storey. Two windows. Faced with flints wet in galletting. Slate roof. Casement windows. Two gable-ends to the south with two bays below them having tripartite sloping roofs. Gabled porch at south end of west front. PDR AL/7/13/l Condition 3 the reclaimed bricks for the butresses, shall be re claimed, relatively, clean and in good condition, without paint on the surfaces, samples of which shall be submitted to and approved by the Local Plannong Authority, before development is commenced, and the materials so approved shall be used in the construction of the butresses Condition 4 The mortar should match tje main wall, a sample of which should be submitted to and approved in writing, by the Local Planning Authority The approved mortar shall be used in the construction of the business.

2

Murrayfield House + Flat Norton Lane Aldingbourne

(DOE ref 7/449) Murrayfield House Originally called Norton Farm. L-shaped building. West wing C18. Two storeys. Three windows. Red brick and flints. Modillion eaves cornice. Tiles roof. Glazing bars intact. Doorway with pilasters and pediment. North wing C19, red brick and grey headers.

2

The Lodge at Aldingbourne House Aldingbourne Drive

SU 90 NW 7/441 GRADE II Aldingbourne House Crockerhill Road Now Aldingbourne Hospital. Late C18 or early C19 mansion. Two storeys. Seven windows. White brick. Stuccoed stringcourse. Cornice and parapet. Curved bay of three windows in centre of south front on both floors. Round-headed windows on ground floor. Large verandah on both floors, added about 1814 with slender coupled iron columns and cornice of lacy ironwork, the sides now glazed. The west front has two curved bays of one window each, two lunette-shaped dormers, a balustraded portico between the bays with four pairs of Doric columns and two Venetian windows on first floor above the portico. Modern hospital additions to north. AND SU 90 SW 7/441A Grade II The Lodge to the south-west of Aldingbourne House Crockerhill Road 1830 circa. Two parallel ranges. One storey. Two windows. Faced with flints wet in galletting. Slate roof. Casement windows. Two gable-ends to the south with two bays below them having tripartite sloping roofs. Gabled porch at south end of west front.

2

   

Grade

     

Fernfield Cottage Arundel Road Aldingbourne (formerly Fennick Cottage)

(DOE ref: 7/513) Fennick Cottage C18. Two storeys. Four windows. Faced with flints, now painted with red brick dressings and quoins. Tiled roof. Casement windows.

2

Norton Farm House Norton Lane Aldingbourne

(DOE ref: 7/447) Norton Farmhouse Late C18. Two storeys and attic. Three windows. Two dormers. Faced with flints with red brick dressings and quoins. Tiled roof. Glazing bars intact. Doorway with flat hood on brackets. Earlier wing at the back.

2

Letterbox Cottage Norton Lane Aldingbourne

(DOE ref: 7/448) Letterbox Cottage C18. Two storeys. Three windows. Flints with brick dressings and quoins, all now painted. Hipped tiled roof. Casement windows.

2

Little Westergate House Nyton Road

L-shaped wing attached to Westergate House on the south east. Early C19. Twostoreys. Two windows. Faced with flints with dressings and quoins of brick, all nowpainted. Slate roof. Casement windows. Listing NGR: SU9400005526

2

Nyton Cottage Nyton Road

C17 timber-framed building with some timbering exposed in the west wall with painted rubble and flint infilling, but refronted with flints and brick. Thatched roof. Casement windows. Two storeys. Four windows. Ground floor addition of three window-bays to east. Listing NGR: SU9340005571

 

Rose Cottage Nyton Road

C17 or earlier timber-framed cottage with the timbering exposed in one place on thefirst floor of the west wall but otherwise refaced with brick, now painted. Tiled
roof. Casement windows. Two storeys. Two windows. Listing NGR: SU9392505603

2

Nyton Lodge Nyton Road

C18. Two storeys. Four windows. Faced with flints with brick dressings and quoins,all now painted. Tiled roof. Casement windows. Two modern bays on ground floor. Listing NGR: SU9362805569

2

Lidsey House Shripney Road

C17. Two storeys and attic. Two windows. Two dormers. Ironstone with verticalstrips of red brick. Eaves cornice. Tiled roof. Casement windows. Doorway withflat hood over. Listing NGR: SU9385402802

 
   

Grade

Milliards Manor Farmhouse Westergate Street

C18. Two storeys. Two windows. Stuccoed. Tiled roof. Glazing bars intact. Wide C19 porch. Listing NGR: SU9388804942

2

Timbers Westergate Street

C16 timber-framed cottage with flint infilling, now white-washed. Thatched roof with two "eyebrows". Casement windows. Two storeys. Four windows. Listing NGR: SU9387104984

2

The Square House Hook Lane

Late C18. Two storeys. Three windows. Faced with flints with red brick dressings and quoins. Tiled roof. Glazing bars intact. Doorway with pilasters and pediment. Listing NGR: SU9265305378

2

The Old Manor House Westergate Street

C17. Two storeys. Four windows. Ground floor faced with flints with red brick dressings and quoins, above red brick and grey headers. Tiled roof. Casement windows. Listing NGR: SU9381905132

2

The Parish Church of St Mary

Chancel, south vestry, nave with south aisle and porch and tower in the centre of the north side. Medieval church, restored externally by Ewan Christian in 1867, but with a good interior. Mainly C13 but with Norman arches, pillars and one window. Listing NGR: SU9233605478

1

Westergate House Denmans Lane

Early C19. Two storeys and attic. Nine windows. Stuccoed. Eaves cornice. Slate roof. Large bay of three windows on both floors towards the west end with lead parapet over. Glazing bars intact. Listing NGR: SU9439607034

2

Greenacres Hook Lane

Dated 1693 but restored and enlarged in the C20. Two storeys. Six windows. Faced with flints with dressings, quoins and stringcourse of red brick. Tiled roof. Modern casement windows. Two modern bays on ground floor. Brick inscribed “P.R.1693". Modern addition to west. Listing NGR: SU9261005352

2

Merryend Nyton Road

C18. Two storeys. Three windows. Faced with flints with brick dressings and quoins, all now painted. Tiled roof. Casement windows. C19 addition of two window-bays to the west in painted brick with slate roof. Listing NGR: SU9425305566

2

   

Grade

Murrayfield House Norton Lane

Originally called Norton Farm. L-shaped building. West wing C18. Two storeys.Three windows. Red brick and flints. Modillion eaves cornice. Tiles roof. Glazing bars intact. Doorway with pilasters and pediment. North wing C19, red brick and grey headers. Listing NGR: SU9315506489

2

The Manor House Hook Lane

East wing C18, west wing C19. Two storeys. Six windows to whole front. East wing red brick and grey headers alternately, west wing stock bricks. Tiled roof. Casement windows. East wing has porch with Doric columns and pediment. South front faced with roughcast. Listing NGR: SU9259405150

2

Argyl House Nyton Road

Early C19. Two storeys. Two windows. Glazing bars missing. Porch of solid type.Ground floor wing of two windows to west. This building forms part of a Group with Elm Tree Stores, Shelley House, The White House, Flint House and Nos 1-3 Malthouse Cottages. Listing NGR: SU9435805604

 

Hop Garden Cottage Westergate Street

Cottage. C18, extended to west in early C20. Flint with red brick dressings. Hipped thatched roof with end brick stacks. Eyebrow dormers and two C19 casements in original cambered architraves. Central C19 porch with hipped tiled roof. Catslide roof to rear. One storey gabled addition to west, also in flint with red brick dressings and thatched roof with semi-circular window above and early C20 5-bay oriel below. Interior features include open fireplace, exposed beams and plank doors. C20 addition to east under tiled roof not of special interest. Listing NGR: SU9389105331

2

Meadow Cottage Hook Lane

Originally two cottages, restored and converted into one house with L-wing added to north west. C18. Two storeys. Three windows. Faced with flints with red brick dressings and quoins. Tiled roof. Casement windows. Listing NGR: SU9264405334

2

Old Farm Cottage Church Lane

C18 or earlier. Two storeys. Two windows. Painted brick. Thatched roof. Casement windows. Listing NGR: SU9431705547

2

   

Grade

Aldingbourne Lodge Church Road

Early C19. Two storeys. Six windows facing north, two windows facing east. Stuccoed, ground floor rusticated. Stringcourse. Hipped slate roof. Glazing bars intact. Original doorway in centre of north front with semi-circular fanlight. On the east front is another doorway, probably older and brought from elsewhere, with flat hood on carved brackets. Listing NGR: SU9235805718

2

THE LODGE TO THE SOUTH WEST OF ALDINGBOURNE HOUSE, CROCKERHILL ROAD, CROCKERHILL,

1830 circa. Two parallel ranges. One storey. Two windows. Faced with flints set in galletting. Slate roof. Casement windows. Two gable-ends to the south with two bays below them having tripartite sloping roofs. Gabled porch at south end of west front. Listing NGR: SU9263006981

2

THE GRANARY ADJOINING THE SQUARE HOUSE ON THE NORTH WEST, HOOK LANE

Small square building on staddle-stones. C18. Faced with tarred weather-boarding. Half-hipped tiled roof. Two storeys. Two windows. Listing NGR: SU9263005396

2

THE LONG HOUSE, NYTON ROAD

C18. Two storeys. Four windows. Painted brick. Modillion eaves cornice. Tiled roof. Glazing bars intact. Modern porch. This building forms a Group with Elm Tree Stores, Shelley House, The White House, Flint House and Nos 1-3 Malthouse Cottages in Church Lane, Eastergate. Listing NGR: SU9437305605

2

Westergate House Denmans Lane

L-shaped building. The west wing comprises two parallel ranges. North west range early C19. Two storeys. Three windows. Stuccoed. Tiled roof. Windows with Venetian shutters and glazing bars intact. Porch with square Doric columns. North east range and south wing later and in painted brick. Listing NGR: SU9439607034

2

THE STABLES OF WESTERGATE HOUSE TO THE EAST OF THE HOUSE, NYTON ROAD, WESTERGATE

Early C19. One storey. Two windows. Painted brick. Modillion eaves cornice. Slate roof. Central doorway. Lunette window on each side of this. Coach-house at each end. Listing NGR: SU9404105561

2

   

Grade

RUSH COTTAGE, NYTON ROAD,

C16 timber-framed cottage with painted brick infilling and a portion added in painted brick at south end. Two storeys. Three windows. Thatched roof. Casement windows. Listing NGR: SU9386605634

2

NYTON HOUSE, NYTON ROAD

Originally known as Nyton. Later called Nyton Farmhouse. Later amended to Nyton House. Large house with a late C17 facade but the inside of the north west wing of the house is C16 or earlier. Two storeys and attic. Six windows. Two dormers. Red brick. Tiled roof. Sash windows with glazing bars mostly intact. Large bay of three windows at south end of east front. The interior has two good staircases, one early C17, the other late C17. Listing NGR: SU9347105581

2

Mouse Hall Westergate Street

C16 timber-framed building with painted brick infilling. Thatched roof. Casement windows. Large buttress at south end of east front. Two storeys. Four windows. Listing NGR: SU9387305545

2

   

Grade

Keep of Tote Copse castle, 400m north of Decoy Farmhouse

 

Motte castles are medieval fortifications introduced into Britain by the Normans. They comprised a large conical mound of earth or rubble, the motte, surmounted by a palisade and a stone or timber tower. In a majority of examples an embanked enclosure containing additional buildings, the bailey, adjoined the motte. Motte castles and motte-and-bai1ey castles acted as garrison forts during offensive military operations, as strongholds, and, in many cases, as aristocratic residences and as centres of local or royal administration. Built in towns, villages and open countryside, motte castles generally occupied strategic positions dominating their immediate locality and, as a result, are the most visually impressive monuments of the early post-Conquest period surviving in the modern landscape. Over 600 motte castles and motte-and-bailey castles are recorded nationally, with examples known from most regions. Some 100-150 examples do not have baileys and are classified as motte castles. As one of a restricted range of recognised early post-Conquest monuments, they are particularly important for the study of Norman Britain and the development of the feudal system. Although many were occupied for only a short period of time, motte castles continued to be built and occupied from the 11th to the 13th centuries, after which they were superseded by other types of castle.

At Tote Copse castle, although only the foundations and lower walls of the keep of the castle and some of the motte survive, these features still retain significant archaeological potential, for example for the study of building techniques of the Norman period. The keep was at the centre of a well- documented castle site which had associations with the bishops of Chichester for several centuries.

Details

The monument includes part of the buried remains of Tote Copse castle, the rest of which was seriously damaged (having been partially excavated) in 1962. The surviving mound measures 20m by 10m and stands some 2.4m high. It represents part of a large mound, or motte, of clay which had been raised around the base of a central building of the castle, the keep. The foundations and walls of the western side of the keep within the mound comprise shaped blocks of Selsey limestone, with more carefully carved Caen stone for the slim buttresses which strengthened the wall. The eastern corner of the keep had been robbed of its stone during the Middle Ages and

does not survive. In the cellar of the keep was a well 8.5m deep, and at the south-western corner was a little-used cesspit, both integral parts of the keep.
Historical evidence and artefacts from the excavation showed that the castle had been built in the first half of the 12th century by Seffrid de Escures, the Bishop of Chichester

None

 

Map of Listed Buildings